View Single Post
Old February 24 2009, 08:45 PM   #47
Christopher
Writer

Re: House - 5x16 "The Softer Side" - Discussion and Spoilers

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
This. Never thought I'd see House do a reset button, but as someone else said, the way it was done was really good.
I thought it was quite arbitrary and weak. House made one mistake that almost killed a patient, and he assumes that means his medical judgment is shot for good unless he goes back to the way he was? That doesn't make sense. The whole reason he hired Thirteen was because she made a mistake that killed a patient -- which meant that he could trust her to be more careful in the future.

And if the absence of pain was so profound for him that he'd sacrifice his job for it that readily, I can't believe he'd choose to go back to being in pain just as readily.

Instead of pushing the reset button at the end of the hour, they should've at least carried this through for several episodes. Maybe have him finally give up the methadone when it nearly killed him and the medical risk of continuing was deemed too great.

Or heck, do get rid of the pain but have him turn out to be just as jerky without it. I think the episode greatly oversimplified the source of his behavioral issues. Heck, didn't we already know that he was an obnoxious jerk even before the leg injury?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote