View Single Post
Old February 24 2009, 02:12 AM   #90
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Anyone Else Love "Whom Gods Destroy"?

Just saw this episode for the first time today and enjoyed it very much. One of the best episodes I've seen in a mostly wretched third season. I love the over-the-top villain, and Yvonne Craig was lovely and adorable as Marta. One of my favourite female characters ever on this show. I just wish she hadn't been covered in green paint, but even with all of that, she still looked very pretty. Not many women could pull that off...her beauty still shined through all that unnecessary make-up.

Her blantant plagirism of poetry and nonsensical statements like her reaction to being accused of it, "which doesn't alter the fact that I wrote it again yesterday!" and her declaration about Kirk, "he's my lover and I have to kill him!" were hilarious. Most everything she said was so cute and the way she came on to Kirk was somehow more endearing than the way so many other women did on the series. I was surprised by how saddened I was by this character being killed. At first she just seemed like a typical submissive one-dimensional evil female character as was common on this show (and she kind of was), but I thought she was more memorable than that and seemed to transcend what could have been a nothing role. She just struck me as very lovably naive and childish, even though she was supposedly a "bad guy".

The interaction with her, the villain, and Kirk was comedic gold too - ("I'm the most beautiful woman on this planet!" "You're the only woman on this planet, you stupid cow!"). I loved the crazy captain's constant yelling and cartoonish supervillainy and it was a pleasure to see Shatner doing his evil/possessed Kirk schtick again. To me, the one in this episode was the most entertaining villain since Khan, but of course not as threatening and able to be taken seriously as him. If I had to rate this episode, I would rate it Queen to Queen's level three...I mean three out of three.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote