View Single Post
Old February 23 2009, 12:45 AM   #22
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Re: Sovereign Class and Photon Torpedoes

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post
We've never seen any Federation ship in the TNG era, except perhaps the Defiant, fight to their full potential. In many fleet battles in DS9 the Galaxy Class ships used their phasers most often.
We see Galaxy fight to full potential on numerous occasions in TNG, we see upgraded Lakota, we see Sovereign in movies, and Intrepid, and we know what a couple other ships can do from inferring. Everything else is speculation by fans.
I'l admit that my use of "never" was hyperbole. However in many instances the hero ship is hampered in one way or another. In the clip you reference later in your post, the 1701D was hampered by a powerful being who could ensure that every shot the "Husnock" (I put that in quotes because I'm not convinced that it is a real Husnock ship.) fired were perfect shots and that - at this point of the episode - no matter what the 1701D could never hurt it. In Yesterday's Enterprise, she could not maneuver enough because she had to stand between the 1701C and the Klingons. In the Arsenal of Freedom, the Enterprise could only get a good shot by tricking the drone into the atmosphere. In Generations, she was again hampered by an inability to properly maneuver and access to the ships shield frequency. Numerous other episodes show the 1701D firing only enough to hurt the enemy enough to get them to talk (i.e. The Wounded). In the Lakota and Defiant fight both ships held back, I believe the dialogue confirms it.

Smaller does not equate to weaker. I will assume you mean the Galaxy has launchers that are 50 meters ( ≈164") long. There is no reason why the launchers on the belly of the Sovereign can't be 50 meters long. Also one could argue that the Sovereign has a better launcher design than the Galaxy, allowing the same fire power from a shorter launcher
50 meter is just an off the cuff remark, i don't know exact dimensions. The sovereign doesn't have them because we can see how tiny they are in MSDS. They look like slow firing Voyager ones.
Are the MSD's of both ships at the same scale? If they are, then you may have a point; if they are not, you don't. Even if they are shorter, the Sovereign could have a new launcher design. She does have a very rapid rate of fire, as I'll show later.

Except for the Runabouts' "micro torpedoes', all photon casings look alike in size and shape. So it is a safe assumption that the Sovereign and Galaxy carry identical photon torpedoes. We've never seen the Sovereign fire multiple torpedoes at once (I.E. dispersal pattern sierra) but that doesnt mean it can't be done. Also if the launchers are capable of a rapid fire rate greater than the Galaxy that should close the gap with burst fire.
Sovereign had plenty of chances to prove they can, but they never do, they are slow firing to say the least. They are not capable of same rapid fire as Galaxy, not matter what fanwank sources say. We simply don't see this rapid fire.

Take a look at this video starting at 1:00, and tell me when Sovereign displayed this type of firepower?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_XbWq49vUM
The 1701D launches 6 torpedoes in 2 seconds. In this link here, at ≈7:20 the 1701E fires 4 photons in 1 second. At this link look at ≈1:10 the 1701E fires 3 quantum torpedoes in 1 second and it does it again a few seconds later. That's pretty good don't you think? It should also be a display of firepower at least equal to a Galaxy.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote