View Single Post
Old February 21 2009, 11:59 PM   #39
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: your ideas for new Starfleet technology

DRACO wrote: View Post
JNG wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post

The way we worked them out was that they work by scanning the shields as they impact and remodulate to the shield frequency to bypass (similar to how you could modulate the phaser in the video game Star Trek DS9: The Fallen to bypass forcefields). They had a range limit because the further they went the more energy they lost and it diminished their calculation ability and response times.
They...remodulate something or other after they explode, do they? Well, golly, the technobabble for that ought to fill another page of this thread.
ehh, it's not really that hard to comprehend, but when most ships don't have the sensor capacity to figure out those shield frequencies, let alone that fast before they remodulate, it seems an awefull lot for a torpedo to do, especially right neer impacted but then

his fanfic does have positronic circuitry that helps...
Ok I just checked with my group's chief engineer - who also has been designing these pieces of technology - and asked him about the Phoenix torpedoes. They operate not like I thought they did. They are in a state of flux similar to the Pegasus in the episode The Pegasus of TNG, but they have a range limit because of it and become standard torpedoes if they didn't impact in time. They don't scan as I thought they did and I apologize for my mistake. They are also, because of their flux, volatile and prone to detonation early because they operate without safeties.