they are different casings? anywhere I can find a comparison?
goofy? I didn't see anything goofy about it...
Same artbook illustrating said goofiness of the little launchers (in fairness, designed for a notably stupid and later cut sequence in ST:First Contact
) has the casing redesign sketch that was used as the basis of the new Q-torp casing depicted in DS9 TM
and I doubt the galaxy had more torps, it had what 2-3 lauchers? which could fire like 2 at a time?
and the E had a turrent that can do 4torps/sec and 8 more launchers....
plus the D wasn't really designed for war...
10 at a time, and I don't subscribe to the idea that a Galaxy
-class ship is any more or less designed for "war" than is a Sovereign
-class ship. I don't know of anything in particular to back that idea up. Aside from the fact that Galaxy
was designed during the Cardassian wars, ships of that type were seen, you know, fighting in an actual war. Looks to me like they had the Sovereign
-class ships (all 2 of them that we know about) off doing other things...
nothing to back that up?
1. the Galaxy class, whole families including children, the Soverign carries only officers and people need for specific missions
2. the Galaxy class has numerous accommodations and far more diplomatic resources than the Sovy, why the Sovy has diplomatic potential is is far less than than the Galaxy lass, and the Sovy is not as spacious
3. the Sovy has type XII phasers and regenerative shielding, because of the immense power drain to offense and defensive systems, a new warp core was desiggned to add more power, type XII phasers, previously designated type X+ for security reasons where so power intensive that they where only used on outposts,stations and planetary defenses...
4. the Sovy is much more manueverable than the Glaxy, a feature that has little benefit other than combat effectiveness
5. Sources have stated that the Sovy, the Promethius and Akira where wall designs Starfleet put into production to combat the Borg threat as well as possible hostilities from the maor quadrant powers
6. the Sovy has 16 Type XII Phaser arrays 8 Torp launchers and one Turret capable of firing 4torps/sec, I mean come on, plus only ships who are expected to see allot of action quantums
7. is it wasn't expected to see war-like conditions why bother with regenerative shielding?
as for other things, two ships out of the whole fleet, your gonna be lucky if you see them, if your refferring to the E,'s initial absense in FC, that was explained... Starfleet not sure about Picard after his assimilation
as for Insurrection, I do believe that was after the dominion war, now the Sovy has more roles than just war, it is listed as an Explorer, but it's built for war as well as exploration, think of it this way, they needed a strong militaristic force but, you dont want to mothball them in times of peace to build ships for exploring..
Tactical Explorer lol