View Single Post
Old February 19 2009, 10:34 AM   #17
Strider
Fleet Captain

Re: your ideas for new Starfleet technology

SicOne wrote: View Post
Think of what that could do for a starship security force. They could take on Hirogen borders with superhuman avatars, risk-free.
For that matter, you wouldn't even need someone controlling the hologram. You could just send a legion of holographic Borg or Klingon warriors at them. Or burn them up with holographic fire or poison them with holographic nerve gas or get them hopelessly stuck in holographic taffy.

I mean, hell, you could have Emergency Engineering Holograms, Emergency Tactical Holograms, and so on and so forth. Except for maybe a small command crew of real people, you'd hardly need an actual crew at all. Or, just take out the need for crew altogether and just build sentient probes and make the most boring Star Trek ever. Once VOY got their hands on the whole holographic people concept they kind of let the genie out of the bottle and we just have to ignore it from now on.

On a side note, another technology I'd work on is a uniform better suited for away team missions than their Starfleet pajamas. This is the 24th Century for crying out loud. Give them climate-controlled biofeedback enhanced suits with tricorders and phasers built into the suit (phaser emitter in the glove maybe?). Also, a little more ablative body armor around the chest area would save on redshirts. I mean "The Siege of AR-558" was ridiculous. They were wearing the same pajamas only with a little more padding and no helmets or nothing.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote