View Single Post
Old February 16 2009, 06:35 PM   #78
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

leola wrote: View Post
Are we adding Harry Death Count to the Torpedo Count and Shuttle Count?
May as well. It would be great if Harry dies in a shuttle crash caused by Voyager shooting at him with a torpedo!

Praetor wrote: View Post
'Emanations' is important because it is (I believe) the first episode to reinforce my one rule of 'Voyager':
The universe hates Harry Kim.

When you accept and watch with this in mind, everything about Voyager makes more sense. Seriously, try it.
I'll keep that in mind. In fact it already seems to have worked for me because...

Prime Factors (*****)

Now how did I forget about this little gem? When the aliens showed up in the beginning I thought it was going to be a boring episode about some nice aliens with a dark secret, but this episode really turns into something meaningful. As Janeway says in one scene, this is the first time that we have seen the Prime Directive from the other side of the fence and it explores this idea well. I would even go as far as to say that it is a perfect use of Voyager's premise.

There is a nice scene between Janeway and Tuvok where she is debating whether it is okay to break her principles in order to get home, and how could she explain it to the crew if she does not. I agree with Janeway's decision in this episode and it is made more poignant by knowing that in Endgame she is going to sacrifice her principles in order to get home.

"Principles, principles. That’s what it comes down to. Do I compromise my almighty principles?
"

The mini-mutiny in engineering is believable, and I even accept Tuvok's logic in helping them out. In the end there is a lot of technobabble, but it is okay because the solution to the problem is to pull out a phaser and shoot the illegally obtained device. Cut the BS, that's what I like to see!

It is like Eye of the Needle in that it builds up hope only to find that it was never going to pay off, but this time some of the main characters have to own up and pay the price. The final scene is fantastic and Janeway comes across really well, but so too do B'Elanna and Tuvok. My only real problem with this episode is that there is no lasting consequences (unless you count the wardrobe malfunction involving Tuvok's rank) but the final scene overpowers that to make this my first five-star episode of Voyager.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote