View Single Post
Old February 15 2009, 02:06 AM   #342
CaptainKit
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x14: "Blood on the Scales"

ialfan wrote: View Post
Excellent

Seriously my only complaint is it went by so fast. It seems that in the end Zarek is truly a villan while Gaeta is just very misguided and miserable. I hope they keep killing off characters at this rate to keep things interesting!

It's been great to see these previous background characters get the focus in Season 4.5 so far. Dualla, Gaeta and Zarek have all come to the forefront and had their stories wrapped up or just ended. I like that.

Seeing Kelly, Gage, the quorum, Narcho, Connor, Laird, Seelix, Racetrack, Jaffee, Skulls, Vereem, etc really helped to put this episode over the top too. Having these secondary "background" characters helps propel BSG way ahead of shows like Voyager since it gives things a sense of realism seeing the same people over instead of random pilots and marines.

On another note the crack in the ship is clearly foreshadowing something to come. Awesome to see the ship fall apart. I only hope it goes down fighting like Pegasus!
This episode for me was OFF THE CHARTS!!!!! Since Excellent was the highest rating, that's what I gave it. Comparing this series to Voyager is natural but superficial. The ironic thing for me is that I loved Voyager so much that it is the only series in creation that I own the DVD's of. Yes, it was very, very flawed as has been discussed to death elsewhere, but two things make it watchable in rerun: the fact that it was episodic and not a serial and the character development. I admit to the irony because being episodic was a weakness for Voyager in first run.

Much as BSG is a far better executed show and has a far more realistic verisimilitude, I have no desire to watch it again. Because of how it was drawn out, I forgot or never retained a lot of the details of the series, especially to the background characters, and I do not care. I just let it wash over me as it unfolds but I do not have an emotional connection to the characters the way I did with the Voyagers.