View Single Post
Old February 14 2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Re: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea

^^Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you liked the worldbuilding, and I'm sorry the character writing wasn't more to your liking. As someone who spent years in therapy and learned a lot about analyzing myself, it doesn't seem unnatural to me for characters to engage in that kind of introspection; maybe I'm too quick to project my own approach onto others (although I'd like to think that more people in the future get regular counseling and have that kind of introspective skill, since it should be a standard part of a basic health regimen). Or maybe I just like to see problems getting solved by thoughtful analysis, whether they're scientific or personal. Anyway, it's something I'll try to keep in mind in the future.

As for the lack of drama in the early chapters, that's kind of what I wanted, in a way. After all the big drama and turmoil of Destiny and the tense aftermath of the other followup books, I wanted this one to be a change of pace, a more relaxed and laid-back tale. I wanted the characters to have a chance to do their regular job, just go to an interesting new place and tackle its scientific mysteries for a while before anything really dangerous happened. That's probably not for everyone, I guess.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote