View Single Post
Old February 12 2009, 02:18 AM   #7
ArthurKing
Ensign

Re: Frakes - Keeping In Touch

JNG wrote: View Post
TrekToday wrote: View Post
Frakes went on to add that Patrick Stewart would be "happy to make another movie (The Next Generation) if everything came back together. I have spoken to him on that very subject."
When few were satisfied with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier as a farewell to the original crew, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was made and righted the wrong a little bit.

I don't think a majority of fans were satisfied with Star Trek Nemesis as a finale for the TNG crew. Even some of those that enjoyed it did not feel it made for a solid goodbye.

If the new movie hits in May, and a new enthusiasm for all things Trek follows...

(takes deep breath)*

FRAKES, TALK PATRICK STEWART INTO ACCEPTING A SMALLER PAYCHECK FOR A NEW TNG MOVIE!

DIRECT IT!

GET EVERYONE IN IT!

HELL, HAVE Q IN IT! WE DON'T CARE IF HE LOOKS OLD!

SHOW EVERYONE TNG HAS THE HEART AND THE FOLLOWING TO PUT ONE LAST SUCCESS UNDER ITS BELT--FINANCIAL AND CREATIVE!

GIVE US A GOODBYE TNG TO REMEMBER!

*The thinking is: if I type loud enough, he can hear me through the article.
I think this is a fantastic idea. I never faulted Generations--thought it was a decent first outing, in anticipation of several more. Thoroughly enjoyed First Contact. I've never understood the mishandling of the franchise thereafter. Insurrection was one of the most forgettable pieces of cinema--Trek or otherwise--that I've ever seen; Nemesis was a rushed disaster.

I would love to see a final TNG movie. However, the prospects for this are just not good. The idea comes off as too much of a fan fantasy. Honestly, think back: how many times do these 'comebacks' actually occur. VERY VERY VERY RARELY--and that's even when the money IS on the table (e.g., Seinfeld for the last 10 years).

Having said that, if it's going to happen, it needs to happen SOON. Stewart is in his late-60s; Spiner just turned 60; Frakes is in his mid-50s--they're not too old by any means, but they don't have the luxury of decades in which to sit and hope.

(An aside: Personally, I regard Spiner's position on data and aging as either: a. uninformed, or, b. intentionally misleading. The combination of makeup technqiues and, more importantly, CG enhancements really renders his concerns moot. Flag-class cinema CG work can, in this day and age, do damn near anything; this is all in addition to the fact that they could always adopt a 'Data choose to age' plank' if they so desired--I digress.)