View Single Post
Old February 9 2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Trek Survivor
Captain

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Coincidentally, i've just started doing the very same thing.

I wouldn't have described myself as a hater, more an "indifferent"-er.

When Voyager first came to the UK in June 1995 (via CIC's official videos), I was at the height of my Trek fandom. I liked it, picked up a few vids (remember when we had to pay 12.99 for two new episodes? Heh. I can pick up a complete season on DVD right now from Amazon for the same price. Ah, well...) and enjoyed them. However, I was collecting the DS9 videos so didn't really focus on Voyager; some friends were buying them though, so I managed to see all of seasons 1-2.

By the time the Beeb (I didn't have Sky then) got the series and got around to showing season 3 onwards, I was a bit indifferent to it all. I have only watched 3 episodes from season 3 ("Basics, Part 2", "Worst Case Scenario" and "Scorpion") and just 2 from season 4 ("Scorpion 2" and "The Gift"). I've never seen beyond this - and the moaning from others about how lame it was never motivated me to seek these episodes out either.

However, Virgin1 have just begun transmitting the series again from season 1 onwards daily, so I've jumped onboard again.

So far, I've seen the episodes up to "Emanations" - and it is good! I still enjoy these episodes; partly due to a tug of nostalgia (remembering my friends and I chatting about it, and all the hype and "feel good for Trek" spirit that existed during the mid-90s) but also, I think it's a good start to the series!

"Caretaker" was good - I thought it in 1995 and I think it now. Some of the episodes have been lacking ("Cloud" was as dull as I recalled), but most of them have been good. I'm going to watch the whole series now, and hope season 3-onwards maintains the quality of season 1 and 2. It won't ever be my fave series, but I'm now excited by the prospect of NEW (for me) episodes of Star Trek!
(I have also never seen "Enterprise", save for the very first episode, so will probably get on to that eventually).
Trek Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote