View Single Post
Old February 4 2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Horror Recommendations

marillion wrote: View Post
Older than 20 years, but John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" was the first movie that really freaked me out.. Satan as interdimensional alien banished to earth....

Only has one "GOTCHA" moment toward the end, so I don't count it as a slasher flick. Also, a very creepy performance by Alice Cooper...

Low budget, but it worked for me...
Yeah I love that film, it has just a wonderful creepy atmosphere to it, great locations and music (love Carpenter soundtracks) plus the melding of science and superstition works wonderfully I thought.

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Try Session 9. Fans always seem to either love it or hate it, and I'd be interested to see on which side you fall.
Not sure I hated it, but I didn't think it lived up to expectation.

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
Try some Asia Tartan Extreme - The Ring, The Eye. Very different to western horror and sometimes more disturbting because of it. There's one where they're eating dead babies, can't remember the title, though.
The Ring is one of my all time favourite horror films, but the more Japansese/Korean horrors I watch the samier they seem to be, and whilst creepy girls with long black hair are scary, they're not scary all the time.

If The Eye is the one I think it is the set piece at the end is unbeleivable good however!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote