View Single Post
Old February 3 2009, 05:15 PM   #40
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: The Doomsday Machine: Where's Uhura?

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
That is a key bit of business that has been overlooked over the years, especially by Nichols, Takei, Doohan....not so much by Koenig, he's a big boy and knows the rules, but the others, in all the adulation that was rained upon them at the conventions, kinda forgot that there were only three regular cast members, Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly, and Shatner was signed, and paid, as the star of the show.
I hear ya. I wish I could remember where I read it, probably one of the Edward Gross and/or Mark Altman books, but one of them said in an interview that the show started out as an ensemble and then later on it concentrated on the Big Three (for which Shatner was blamed, of course).

So, I guess that back when Spock was lucky to be an important part of an episode, before Nimoy even had an "Also Starring" over his name, SULU was a huge part of the "ensemble."

I don't blame them for wanting to stoke the fires and inflate thier importance to keep the income rolling in, but I really think Shatner gets the crap handed to him for more than he deserves. Sometimes it feels like they consider it his fault none of the "bottom 4" had a career after Trek.