View Single Post
Old February 1 2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Applied Treknology (Scotty of the Gaps)

Shaw wrote: View Post
newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Subspace field theory--or rather Zephram Cochrane--figured out that time dilation only applies between multiple simultaneous events when one of the actors is within a moving gravitational field (i.e. a subspace field). In this case, the effect of time dilation is really a consequence of the the sub-space region having slightly different energy constants; in other words, it is not time that dilates, but the speed of light of in a vacuum.

I hope that is a joke.

Gravitational time dilation has never had anything to do with movement...
Never said it did. Only that time appears to dilate because certain reactions used to measure the passage of time happen more quickly in a subspace gradient than they do in "normal" space. For a fictional history, let's say that Doctor Cochrane discovered this by analyzing gravitational time dilation in Venus and found it to be much lower than predicted by general relativity; exploring this, he discovered that venus' slow rotational period produced a much smaller subspace field than Earth, so the speed of light in the vicinity of venus is actually 20m/s higher near venus than it is near Earth.

Shaw wrote: View Post
Which begs the question... Who is making this stuff up?
A wizard did it.