View Single Post
Old January 31 2009, 09:47 PM   #428
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 1: Gods of Night - (SPOILERS)

^ As with so many questions about writing, the answer is "it depends."

My first thought with Kadohata was to have a character who just had a child, and had a husband and children on her homeworld. (I went with Cestus III because I'd already developed so much detail on that world in A Time for War, a Time for Peace and Articles of the Federation.) I wanted to reverse the stereotype of the male officer who has a wife and children back home, which we'd seen plenty of times (Gold and Jellico, to name two).

I also liked the idea of someone who had been on the ship in the past, and who was one of the 985 or so other people serving on the Enterprise-D that we never saw in seven years of TNG.

With Leybenzon, the object was to have a mustang -- someone who raised through the ranks during the Dominion War without having attended the Academy. Aside from DS9, the franchise hasn't been good about dealing with enlisted personnel, which is something we addressed quite a bit in S.C.E., and I wanted to take it a step further and do the officer who didn't want to be an officer, who didn't even really like officers.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote