View Single Post
Old January 30 2009, 07:45 AM   #166
Strider
Fleet Captain

Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

@Christopher: I wonder if that was the intent of the writers, but any rate I think the interpretation you gave is one that even the devoutly religious can agree with. God preserve me from ever hating someone in the name of my faith.

KRAD wrote: View Post
Here's the line (from page 210: "There's no problem anywhere that can't be solved by two or more rational people sitting down and talking, and it means people get to live longer. There's an old human saying: 'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality through not dying.' Nonviolence is a good way to accomplish that, seems to me."

I'm rather proud of that bit, actually, and would be honored if you stole it. (The "immortality through not dying" quote is by Woody Allen, and is one of my two favoritest quotes ever.)

Thanks! Consider yourself honored, I guess. I'm just starting this whole teaching thing, I take ideas and quotes and stories that I like whenever I get the chance.

Back in my own high school days (not all too long ago I guess) I remember being somewhat more hard core about the necessity of violence or military action in a "hard" world where we needed to get our way or else someone else would. I'm glad I had some teachers and friends and good books that reminded that the best things about life are things like having kids and enjoying your friends and line dancing and going for a walk. Stuff like that. Everything else in life should be there just to ensure that as many people as humanly possible can enjoy those things too. That's the great thing about reasonable people talking, as you say. That's why that line resonated with me, I guess.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote