View Single Post
Old January 30 2009, 05:56 AM   #532
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

plynch wrote: View Post
Well, where I wrote "evil by intent," please note that I had just the word evil in quotes. I am aware that evil can certainly be in the eyes of the beholder. It is the "intent" part, I guess, that is actually different from how the Borg were originally presented. They are more intentional or conscious now rather than just going about their business. Destroying rather than just assimilating whoever happens to be in the way with good skills or tech.
As stated, that was a response to a specific need. If your survival is threatened, then taking action against the threat is "going about your business." Most animals behave differently when faced with a threat than they do under normal circumstances. So it's not a change in the way the nature of the Borg is being presented, just a change in the circumstances.

I would also argue that if they're pursuing Omega as a power source, that weakens the case that they are pursuing perfection for perfection's sake, which I liked about them, frankly.
Why can't it be both? The Borg are pragmatists. They value that which is functional. To them, perfection would require utility. Their idea of perfection wouldn't just be something elegant they can look at or think about -- it would be something that was perfectly useful, something that at once represented the perfection they aspired to and gave them the power to work more effectively toward achieving it.

Sci wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't think you can take the Queen's professions of emotion as being genuine. I always perceived them as calculated and artificial, just tactics she employed in her efforts to manipulate and use other beings.
I disagree.

1. The fact that the Queen allowed Voyager to survive instead of just neutralizing this pest makes no sense unless her profession to favor Seven is true.
Not at all. As explained in "Dark Frontier," she arranged for Seven to be planted aboard Voyager so she could study humanity and learn its secret to resisting assimilation. The ship's survival was simply a means to that end, and her "favoring" of Seven was merely because of her value as a tool to the Queen. Besides, the Borg are secure enough in their power that they see no need to eliminate Voyager, any more than they see a need to attack intruders who aren't attacking them.

2. Krige's performance in First Contact struck me as being far too angry at Picard for his having spurned her for it to be false. The Queen could easily have just had Picard killed before entering Engineering if she was coldly pragmatic. She obviously wanted to cause him harm in part because of his having spurned her. Plus, it was Picard's memory from having been Locutus and having touched her mind that let him know she wanted him.

3. We saw the Queen feeling emotions in her internal monologue in Destiny.
Granted that the Queen is capable of responses that aren't entirely pragmatic. My point is that you can't assume she's being honest about what her feelings and motivations actually are. When she tried to seduce Data and Picard in FC, she was clearly working toward a goal, manipulating them with lies. There and elsewhere, whenever she's professed feelings toward anyone, she's always had an agenda, always been trying to get something out of them. So her claims cannot be taken at face value. What's motivating her is not sentiment toward others, but self-interest. Her claims of sentiment are tools of seduction, not insights into her true motives.

I also don't think the books portray the Borg as "evil by intent."
No, but they do portray them as being deliberately malicious, enjoying causing harm and desiring power.
I think that's anthropomorphizing them. They're being deliberately aggressive, but as I said, that's a response to a perceived threat. They're not "enjoying causing harm," but are satisfied when their goal of neutralizing a threat is achieved. And power isn't so much something they desire so much as something they assume they're entitled to. It's not so much a ruling passion as a guiding paradigm.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote