View Single Post
Old January 30 2009, 04:08 AM   #530
View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Well, where I wrote "evil by intent," please note that I had just the word evil in quotes. I am aware that evil can certainly be in the eyes of the beholder. It is the "intent" part, I guess, that is actually different from how the Borg were originally presented. They are more intentional or conscious now rather than just going about their business. Destroying rather than just assimilating whoever happens to be in the way with good skills or tech.

I would still argue that the drones' retaining some individual (trapped) consciousness does make them less than "fully integrated," but that is just how I see it, I guess. I would also argue that if they're pursuing Omega as a power source, that weakens the case that they are pursuing perfection for perfection's sake, which I liked about them, frankly.

Overall, I just prefer my Borg less personal. Somehow that is scarier - an enemy who is just doing what it does, which happens to be abhorrent to us. Now as to who started watering that down (e.g. Braga, etc.), I will bow to you other folks' historical expertise. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
plynch is online now   Reply With Quote