View Single Post
Old January 28 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Naming question to the readers of TNG novels

Normally, the new ship is still called Enterprise. Checking my manuscript for Greater Than the Sum, I find that I only use "Enterprise-E" on three occasions in the text proper, two of which are meant to distinguish it from earlier ships of the same name (though I'll grant the third is gratuitous). The term "Enterprise-E" occurs only once in the current draft of Losing the Peace. I find it 14 times in the manuscript for Q & A, but 11 of those are in chapter headings, only 3 in the text proper. It occurs only once in the entire Destiny trilogy. I can't give exact figures for Resistance or Before Dishonor, since I don't have the manuscripts for those on my computer, but skimming through them by hand, I find plenty of references to the ship simply as Enterprise, and no usages of "Enterprise-E" turned up in my cursory search. Every location heading in BD, unlike Q & A, calls it simply "The Enterprise."

So the vast majority of the time, the ship is still just called Enterprise. And none of the "Enterprise-E" references I found were in spoken dialogue.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote