View Single Post
Old January 28 2009, 01:54 AM   #22
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: If You Could Re-Imagine the Phoenix?

Dukhat wrote: View Post

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Has it ever actually been established that the ring on the XCV-330 is in fact its warp drive--assuming it was a warp ship at all? I've always has the impression that it was a habitation ring, which rotated to create artificial gravity
No, it was never established to be a warp drive. It was only after the Vulcan ships in ENT were shown that people equated their design with this old drawing. IIRC, Doug Drexler said he was influenced by the design, but that doesn't mean that the ship had annular warp drive as well. As a matter of fact, the drawing seems to show the propulsion as rocket exhaust coming from the rear of the ship.
From the excellent article on the ringship at trekplace.com

This is the sketch I was thinking of earlier. This one is actually closer to the finished product than I remembered - another 3/4 forward type view shows a different 'pod' at the front. Note that the labels were inserted by them over Jefferies handwritten notes but are accurate. Obviously the terms are a little different than we're used to, but the rings are a type of field generator (i.e., coils) and perhaps the 'centriverter' is a type of impeller for the generated field.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote