View Single Post
Old January 23 2009, 11:03 PM   #28
kent
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Intrepid class VS a galaxy class, which was more powerful and adva

Timo wrote: View Post
not in battle, but Admiral Ross' ship, the USS Bellepheron, was an Intrepid and he and his crew did participate in multiple battles.
Naah. Ross was aboard the Bellerophon once, being ferried to a diplomatic meeting on Romulus. Doesn't mean it was "his" ship, or that he went aboard her ever again.

The gel packs are artificual nueral fibers that simulate how a brain functions, allowing quicker response time.
Or then not, as this wasn't told to us in any episode.

Or then not, as this wasn't told to us in any movie.

Identical offensive/defensive systems
Or then not, as this wasn't told to us in any episode.

Are we to assume that all ships have identical systems unless otherwise told? Did the tiny Equinox have identical systems? She did have phaser strips and torpedo tubes, after all. What about the runabouts? Do they have Galaxy systems? They, too, have phaser strips and torpedo tubes.

Klingons aren't idiotic, and if anything, there is a possibility they would upgrade their old K-Tinga ship as time went on to keep up
Except that this wasn't possible in this particular case: the ship our VOY heroes met in "Prophecy" had been stranded in deep space for the better part of a century, much like the sleeper ship from TNG "The Emissary" that was easily dealt with by the E-D. Underway improvements would of course be possible, but I do wonder if the Klingons would have been capable of that sort of thing. That they survived the 80-year trip at all might be indicative of minimal contact with locals...

Timo Saloniemi

Actually, Star Trek:The magazine had an article of the gelpacks, and they specifically stated neural fibers (the mag is also officially authorized.) In addition, it's reasonable to assume they are what they are as the got "sick" in the episode. Also, they are called "Bio-Neural Gelpacks", and this also supports the notion that they used artificual neural fibers, allowing the computers to process info at best guess rather then process of elimination.

As i said before, the design lineage of the Intrepid class was also in Star Trek the magazine, and they specifically stated that the Intrepid class was designed as a direct result of the Galaxy class and are closely related. In yet another Star Trek Mag article, the ships is said to have high-powered phaser banks. Putting those two together it''s also reasonable to assume Voyager is equipped with at least some type of phaser with similar output to a Galaxy. Couple that with the quote from Lt. Paris while in Kim's quarters that the ship was built for combat, and considering it's an explorer, it's again reasonable to assume higher phaser output. If not type 10's, then something else.

Also, I think it's reasonable to assume Admiral Ross' ship was the USS Bellepheron. If he had a ship he could fight with, why would he use a different ship to be ferried in? He also used the briefing room as if it was his own, which is generally against protocol if it isn't his ship. And if it isn't, why would he shlep to the briefing room when he could hold a meeting in his own quarters.

The Equinox itself was the Defiant pathfinder originally. Considering the type of ship that is, and the year in which it was launched, it's also reasonable to assume that the tech on the Equinox class is similar, sans weapons and a high warp speed, to the Galaxy. Each consequent ship is a descendent of the advanced ships before it.

As to the Sovereign, I can't remember where I read that it had bionueral gel packs (I think again it was ST:The mag), BUT it was a TOP of the line battleship, with all the latest in gadgets and gizmo's. There is absolutley no reason to assume that it's tech did not include bionueral gelpacks. In fact, it would be ridiculous to think it didn't...A brand new ship with old technology and computing power??? I think not.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote