View Single Post
Old January 23 2009, 12:45 PM   #252
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 2: Mere Mortals - (SPOILERS)

Semah wrote: View Post
Generally, in a trilogy, book 2 is the weakest of the 3. This is unequivocally not the case with Mere Mortals. So much that could have been handled with a lesser writer (Worf vs the Hirogen springs to mind) shines here. 'scuze me while I read book 3.
Although Mere Mortals was still a fraking good read, unlike Gods of Night and Lost Souls which I read in a day, I took over a week to read it and the Hernandez/Caeliar sections of the book, although having ultimatily, the most segnificant outcome to the storyline, it for me, just dragged. I even remember through one chapter hoping it was almost over but it had another twenty pages to go! So yes, for me Mere Mortals does suffer a small amount from being the middle child of the trilogy. But saying that, the plus points of the book far out weighed the negative points.

One moment that made me chuckle and remind me of Jayne from Firefly (going to his bunk in War Stories) and Crichton from Farscape (telling Braca to shoot his hand off and ruin his sex life in Kiss the Princess: I do, I think) was the Columbia crew discussing sex or lack there of and the suggestion of carrying out some DIY. Am I just making links where there are none as this would be a natural evolution of the women being away from any intimate contact or was it a not so direct refference?

Last edited by Dimesdan; January 23 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote