View Single Post
Old January 22 2009, 08:50 PM   #29
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Oscar Nominations

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote: View Post
Do the OAPs who obviously vote in these things find it hard to recall back an longer than that?
Maybe. But many films whose producers think they have chances to win awards also get released late in the year to make sure they're fresh in people's minds in time for the awards.
It's also a sign of complete and utter lazyness by those who don't want to do the work and actually watch all the movies in a year.

I still have to see The Reader and Slumdog Millionaire but this is once again another soft, safe year of the Oscars. Were these five films the best 2008 really had to offer? I think I could come up with 5 to 10 films that were better, but these are the Oscars and Best Picture of the year has turned into Best Picture of November thru December only.

I'm not surprised The Dark Knight didn't get nominated, but it's a great example of why the Oscars are turning into an irrelevant exercise. It's not about what film was truely the best or what film really struck home with the consumers who go see these movies. It's about what film is good politically and baited so much that the Academy has to nominate them. Was the Reader really that good. According to Rotten Tomatoes, it's getting rotten under the Top Critics tab, while films like The Wrestler or The Dark Knight (And even Iron Man, which is in my top 10 films of 2008) were critical darlings and did really well. I'll perhaps see The Reader, but I'm not jumping up and down for it.

I did like RDJ getting the supporting nomination for Tropic Thunder. Now that's probably the most unsafe thing they've done in the last few years.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote