View Single Post
Old January 21 2009, 10:34 PM   #506
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

RonG wrote: View Post
I think one of the many refreshing plot points (intentional or not) in the Destiny trilogy was that our heroes did not save the day by their lonesome selves.

Sure, everyone had a part to play (including reaching personal insights, i.e. Picard), but it truly was a story about the Trek universe with all the ships, cultures and supporting characters dealing with the Borg threat...

Maybe it's just me, but I found the entire approach and execution to be top notch
Huh. I actually hadn't thought of it quite that way before.

Instead of a crossover trilogy about three captains, if I just think about it as a story about the whole Star Trek universe with varying emphases on certain important players, it actually makes a lot of sense. Like, lots of people have mentioned that this is Trek's Lord Of The Rings, and that seemed like a misnomer to me as a lot of our characters experienced a lot, but didn't really DO much. But this isn't a heroic quest, it's just a Big Damn Event that happens, and everyone gets caught up in it.

May sound like kinda a dumb realization, but actually that helps me appreciate it further. Context really is important I guess...
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote