View Single Post
Old January 18 2009, 04:26 AM   #41
Berg417448
Commander

Re: There must be a second Earth...

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Berg417448 wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post

Well, there's no evidence that the Five had the same names in their previous identities (that would be unlikely in any case).
Tigh's first name is the same. Ellen called him Saul in the flashback at the end. Odd.
I must have missed that bit.

USS Gettysburg wrote: View Post
Ron Moore says specifically that it is intended that Anders wrote the song.) The fact they used watchtower doesn't mean that meant that Dylan wrote it.
"All Along the Watchtower" is a very well known song. We *know* Bob Dylan wrote it. It's obvious. If, in BSG, Anders wrote it, then Anders must logically be Bob Dylan. I can't see any way around that.

Other than having a (IMHO, completely unbelievable) coincidence that in the BSG 'verse, somebody *else* just happened to write a song absolutely identical to it.
That's pretty much how they chose to explain the song:

“I happened to catch Ron Moore in the hallway at Universal and, in a brief conversation, got everything I needed to know. I learned that the idea was not that Bob Dylan necessarily exists in the characters' universe, but that an artist on one of the colonies may have recorded a song with the exact same melody and lyrics. Perhaps this unknown performer and Dylan pulled inspiration from a common, ethereal source. Therefore, I was told to make no musical references to any "Earthly" versions, Hendrix, Dylan or any others. The arrangement needed to sound like a pop song that belonged in the Galactica universe, not our own.”

Bear McCreary’s blog