View Single Post
Old January 17 2009, 07:12 PM   #399
Jean-Luc Picard
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 1: Gods of Night - (SPOILERS)

I can see both sides of the argument, but in the end, it comes down to personal opinion and choice, both within the story and without. For me, it's just a facet of Kadohata's character, and helps to flesh her out as a realistic crew member; it's easy to lose human situations in amongst the phasers and starships, so I think KRAD did a good job in applying a different dynamic. If Kadohata is going to be criticised for that, however, then her husband Vicenzo must also come under scrutiny. He chose to remain with his career too, and his is arguably far less important than his wife's.

Still, no matter how humanizing Kadohata's situation is, I don't think it can be translated as literally into the real world as it has been in this thread. Statistical probabilities on single-parent families don't fit into an advanced future society, and they shouldn't; I'm all for reflection of issues in entertainment and fiction, but anything so blatant would just be heavy-handed and rob it of its sense of escapism. When it comes down to it, Kadohata is a subtle representation of reality and nothing more.

Back to the book: Hernandez and her team's arrival at Erigol has been really interesting so far, and Inyx is intriguing. The Enterprise storyline has really heated up, with the attack on Korvat and Paris' death; I also thought that the Ranger's kamikaze strike was really inventive and a blast to read. I'm liking the screentime that Pazlar is getting too, as well as Tuvok. The scene with Troi learning the truth behind her miscarriages was a nice throwback to "The Child".
Jean-Luc Picard is offline   Reply With Quote