View Single Post
Old January 17 2009, 05:42 AM   #392
JD
Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 1: Gods of Night - (SPOILERS)

Kirr wrote: View Post
Claudia wrote: View Post
And even if her husband had agreed to follow Kadohata aboard ENT, one could argue that having young children on a ship in times of war (and the Borg invasion(s) count as such) is questionable at best, even if the ships themselves may be designed for this... and you can't always evacuate them before an attack. I know I'd be exceedingly distracted if any children of mine were in our quarters (or whereever on the ship) and I couldn't be with them... I think even more so than if they weren't around on the ship at all.

Also, I didn't get the impression that the Ent-E was a family-ship like the D was, it's much smaller after all... Would it even have been possible for her family to stay on Enterprise, or would have Kadohata had to transfer to another ship in order to have her family with her?
See, this argument doesn't really work for me when the Captain and his wife and future child will all be remaining with the Enterprise I'm sure. And no one is 'safe' anywhere - it's all relative. Yes, staying home is safer than being on a starship. But what if the base where her family live is attacked while she's away, relatively safer in her starship with it's defenses against the Borg.

Ultimately, I feel I've completely derailed this topic, which was not my intention. I gave my reasons for not liking Miranda, I already knew the reasons the authors feel she's made the 'right' choice, as it's clear from the portrayal, and the answers have only reinforced that. I think there were other choices here, and so I find I've got a problem with her. Doesn't stop me from reading, or enjoying, the stories you've presented.

And as I said at the beginning, I loved Destiny book 1 and look forward to talking about book 2.
Ok, just one comment here, when you use Picards-Crushers you have to remember that they are both officers who have been serving on the ship together, and I have a feeling that if it were the same with Miranda and Vicenzo (I think that's how you spell his name, the books are in the other room and I don't feeling like going all the way in their to look) were both in Starfleet there's a good chance he'd be on the ship too.
Oh, and given what's been happening recently I just want to say that it's nice to see someone who can actually enjoy the books even though he doesn't like one of the decisions made in them.