View Single Post
Old January 17 2009, 02:32 AM   #390
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 1: Gods of Night - (SPOILERS)

Kirr wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^^You're certainly entitled to approach your family in your own way, but it's kind of excessive to assume that any family that's divided is somehow that way because one or both of its parents are deadbeats. What about military families? What about people who get married and have kids and then go off to serve in distant countries to make sure their spouses and kids remain safe? Are they bad parents in your eyes?
You're kidding me right. Christopher, I'd really like you to find where I'm accusing any parent of being a 'deadbeat'.
Not in so many words, but you seem to be saying that anyone who doesn't make the same choice you made is a bad parent and worthy of your disapproval and dislike.

I'm not really certain how I feel about other people who choose that - but ultimately, my feelings about that are really not at all relevant to a discussion about a Starfleet officer who HAS a choice (unlike someone in the military) to bring their family along, or choose a different posting. She's got LOTS of alternate choices, and to make it seem otherwise is a disservice.
Yes, that's exactly my point. She has choices, and she and her husband didn't make the same choice you would have. That doesn't make it wrong.

And since you seem to hold no problem asking about how I choose to approach my family, I suppose I can ask if you even have kids, something I would think might give some more insight into how difficult it might be to leave them behind.
That's completely uncalled for. I "asked" no such thing. I explicitly said you were free to make whatever choice you wanted about your own family, and if you claim otherwise, it's a lie. And your rude question about my personal life is irrelevant to my point, which is that regardless of your or my experience, it's not our place to judge. Different people have the right to make different choices.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote