View Single Post
Old January 16 2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Pilot Ace
Captain

Re: Keanu Reeves will be Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop movie

Ugh, this isn't good news. I don't feel as though Reeves can even come close to capturing Spike's non nonchalant intensity that defines the character.

Evil_Kirkneivel wrote: View Post
Can anyone comment on the similarity between Cowboy Bebop and Firefly? Some poster somewhere seemed to think Firefly was a ripoff of it. I've seen all of Firefly and bits of Bebop and I don't really see much of a resemblance other than some similarity of the basic concept.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a live action Bebop will look like a ripoff of Firefly (not that Reeves can measure up to Nathan Fillion).
There is no real resemblance other than basic concept. They're both space shows that don't go the shiny, Star Trek future route and the main group of characters in each are not regularly employed. There is little more to the similarity.

The other commonly hailed anime that Firefly ripped off was Outlaw Star, which is a slightly better comparison (but still little more than a passing resemblance). Again, both set in futures that are not Star Trek shiny, both have a girl in a box (although everything about the characters are completely and utterly different), both main groups of characters are not regularly employed and work with the concept of 'any job to keep going,' both crews end up getting chased/hunted by people who want the girl in the box, and both ships use a twirly light show on the back for their equivalent of FTL travel. That's about as far as the comparison goes.

In fact, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star have more in common with each other than they do with Firefly. But, that's a different topic.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote