View Single Post
Old January 16 2009, 05:54 AM   #50
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Joker - What would you do now?

Sci wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yes, he's such a radically unstable character who tells different stories of his scars for intimidation that he... completely changes his apperance...
Different physical appearance? Oh, big frickin' deal. Maggie Gyllenhal doesn't look like Katie Holmes, but everyone just accepted that they were playing the same character.
She's a secondary character in both movies. Recasting her makes no difference and Holmes didn't "own" the role as much as Ledger did his.

And I'm not convinced he was deliberately telling different stories of his scars. I think that his memory honestly changed from scene to scene.
I guess we differ there. I took it that he just told different stories about it and not that he had some fucked up version of Korsakov's syndrome.

As we disagree on the "we could do this forever" line. I think it was just a wink and nod at Batman and The Joker being legendary foes in the "universe" they are in they WILL do it forever, but it'll be beyond the scope of these films as Batman has other villains to deal with in the interim.

This movie has no further use for the Joker. He's been used. Time to move on to other villains.
Completely disagree. The Joker isn't used at all -- he's completely unresolved.
What possible reolution could there be? He's captured and in Arkham, Batman doesn't kill and The Joker isn't going to turn over a new leaf.

He's been used, we've a few movies to explore Batman and how he deals with his villains so lets move on. There's no need to reuse the Joker.

Why do people complain about Superman using and reusing Luthor over and over in his movies instead of using his other villains but here people are clamoring for more Joker?

The only reason why the Joker was worth watching in this movie was because of Ledger's performance which you're going to have a hard time matching or topping so why try? It'll just come across as, well, trying.

No matter who you pick.

The Joker has been used, time to move on. We'll see the Joker again in 20 years with the NEXT batch of Batman films.

There's no way he can be used in any signifigant manner in the next Nolan film and for it to be half as good as Ledger's potrayal. It'll just come across as cheap, desperate and as pissing on Ledger's grave.

No more Joker beyond the most passing of references and winks in the next movie.