View Single Post
Old January 11 2009, 09:09 PM   #186
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson
Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
And I hope you'll excuse me for being disturbed that even in this day and age, the idea that such behavior as I depicted could be seen as anything but unacceptable or even attractive is more than a little shocking.
It may well be, but individuals are individuals. Here's a decent source to start with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_fantasy

I'm not saying Robert was thinking along these lines, more that he likely didn't read the text the way you particularly intended it to be read. And that's part of writing, and certainly part of publishing your works for a wider audience -- inevitably, people are going to get their own impressions of it. They're going to run off in their own directions, and sometimes those directions aren't gonna be the ones you wish they were.

But that's writing. And that's life. You're welcome to be disturbed, and for that matter, you're entirely welcome to say exactly why you were. But you'll have to excuse me if I found the way you chose to address him as being antagonistic to an unnecessary degree. And hey, for the record, that's your right too; as it's also mine to point it out.
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote