Old January 11 2009, 05:03 PM   #52
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Re: Dark Avengers - Your thoughts

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Gojirob wrote: View Post
Quesada has sales on his side.
Like heck he does! Even allowing for the "speculator bubble", Marvel comics in the 90s typically sold at LEAST twice what they do now.
and? Comics sold more in the 1980s (leaving aside the collector bubble of the early 1990s) and more in the 1970s and more in the 1960s. Even when Stan Lee was at his peak, his comics were selling more than the previous decade. You cannot look at sales numbers devoid of context.

Every decade brings more and more things for people to spend their disposable income on - entertainment has fragmented.
And the context in which I referred to sales, DD1, is that, while sales are on JQ's side, he is like a farmer who eats and sells all his seed corn instead of planting. These storylines, while spectacular in scope, may be difficult to sustain while keeping to Marvel's core essence. One obvious example of this is the wildly varying portrayal of Tony Stark within the books of CW, and I don't just mean JMS's Spider-Man.

I'm no fan of JQ; The erasure of Pete/MJ was something only the production staff wanted; the fans demonstrated that this was not their will, and we are the direct consumers. He and his did a bum's rush on the marriage, among other things. What happens when the fans brought in by all this settle in and feel the same sting we 'oldsters' did, when a decision goes completely against them? Given the pace the MU is going, I think that won't be long. Sometimes, a writer has to go 'there', fan-wise, but of late. 'sometimes' is always now.