View Single Post
Old January 11 2009, 12:44 AM   #653
Shaw
Commodore

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Kuvagh wrote: View Post
Hello. I've been following this thread for some time, and I just wanted to say how much I've been enjoying it. It's largely responsible for getting me to sign up for this BBS. I'm really looking forward to any "build-your-own" kit which emerges from it.
Once I nail down the main stuff for my plans I'll be going back and getting input from people on some of the variations on the theme that people might want. Of course people are welcome to rearrange my plans in any way they'll please right from the start, but I know that some people would rather not be restricted to the scale I am using or the number of decks or the compartment partitioning. Mainly the broad outlines of the ship's decks would be the easiest thing to provide with elements you could arrange yourself.

Where can I find stuff like the original set blueprints? I'd enjoy tinkering around with them myself.
I'm not sure where the detailed set plans are (which show a number of additional rooms depending on the episode), but the standard overview shouldn't be too hard to find. It makes for a good reference once you can apply scale to it (which you can get from a number of my sketches that include the 10 foot by 10 foot grid).

Here are some of the timeline aspects (and information) I've been looking at recently in my studies of the evolution of the Enterprise...
  • Nov. 4, 1964 (Wednesday): Richard Datin agrees to build an approximate three foot long model based on an early set of plans which give a real world scale of 1:48 (if this had been the final drawings, this would have been the 540' version, but the proportions of this early drawing are actually different from the final plans).
  • Nov. 7, 1964 (Saturday): The final construction plans are finished. These plans include the scale reference of FULL SIZE & 3" = 1'-0" TO LARGE MINIATURE.
  • Nov. 8, 1964 (Sunday): Richard Datin receives the plans and starts building the full size 33 inch model out of kiln-dried sugar pine.
  • Nov. 15, 1964 (Sunday): A little more than a week later the 33 inch model is presented to Roddenberry for approval. I'd guess this is where the addition of exterior windows takes place (which were not part of the original design).
  • Dec. 8, 1964 (Tuesday): Construction is started on the 11 foot model.
  • Dec. 14, 1964 (Monday): The 33 inch model is delivered to Roddenberry for final approval while The Cage was being filmed in Culver City. This model is used for all effects shot in The Cage except the most important one (the zoom in on the bridge).
  • Dec. 24, 1964 (Thursday): Shooting of The Cage wraps, only one effects shot still outstanding.
  • Dec. 29, 1964 (Tuesday): The 11 foot model (built by Datin, Mel Keys and Vern Sion) was delivered to the Howard A. Anderson studio. This version is unpowered and the windows are painted on the surface of the model... and even then the model was designed to be shot from the right side only.
  • Jan. 23, 1965 (Saturday): After The Cage is already in the can and waiting for network approval of the new series, additional test shots of the 11 foot model are taken in it's original condition.
  • Jan. 30, 1965 (Saturday): Aspects of the ship's size (like it being 190,000 tons) were being distributed to the media in the descriptions of the new show.
I'm still working on nailing down more info, but I thought I would share what I have so far.