View Single Post
Old January 5 2009, 10:35 PM   #428
adamczar
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

I know I'm late to the party, and most of what I can say has already been said but thought I'd make a posting if for no other reason than to let the publishers know that one more person is enthusiastically reading.

I've been a casual Trek reader, so when I picked up Destiny I really didn't know what to expect from it. I had read most of the novels leading up to it, and found most of them pretty average and enjoyable, and then when I started Destiny it all clicked in that the novels (and most of the TV show, even... I KNEW there had to be a way to end the Borg that wasn't genocide) seemed to be leading up to this.

For example, the ongoing character rotations on the Enterprise's bridge was getting to me. It felt like each author would bring in a new senior staff member only to have them killed off and replaced by another character in the next novel, like each author was giving the finger to the previous one and doing things their own way.

How wrong I was, in that it was all a continuing theme of Picard and Co. finding a crew that "clicks". I was so thrilled that Chordhury and Kadohata, especially, made it through alive. Kadohata, in fact, has become a favorite, as has Chen. And as much as I didn't like T'Lana--I realized, as I read her impending death and found that I had a lump in my throat, that her character arc was complete and moving and it was a nice send off to a staff member whose tenure was brief but profound. It seems the Enterprise once again has a crew that clicks, and I hope they stick around.

I'm now eagerly awaiting the next novels, though, as a side note, I do see a valid point in that this would serve as a perfect grand finale for Trek. Don't get me wrong, I'll be first in line for the next installment--I'm simply saying that if, for whatever reason, TPTB said "no more Trek books after this," I'd be content. Disappointed as hell, but content.

And so, to me, as much as Destiny was a complete story in and of itself, I think the stories leading up to it were just as important, and my hat goes off to all the authors, editors, and publishers. It is evident that a lot of time, effort, and passion goes into these books... they are not just "out to make a buck," and I say a heartfelt "thank you" to all involved who continually honor the true spirit of Star Trek.