View Single Post
Old January 5 2009, 05:11 PM   #71
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Re: Scarlett Johansson: Genre babe of the week #2 (Jan. 2009)

John Picard wrote: View Post
ChickenPug! wrote: View Post
She is very beautiful but I'll never understand why see covered on Tom Waits song on her covers record.
No comprende.
Scarlett Johansson has released an album titled Anywhere I Lay My Head, featuring covers of Tom Waits songs.

Amazon review:
On the day Academy Award-nominated actress Scarlett Johansson was born, Tom Waits was holed up in an L.A. studio knocking off the final gin-soaked lines of Rain Dogs, his near-perfect album of 1985. That Johansson’s cool enough to be a fan of Waits’ character-driven songs and distinct rasp is one thing; choosing to cover 10 of his songs for her first album (and naming it after the lone Rain Dogs selection) could be downright precarious. Expect the robust voice that is her big-screen reputation, which, after the kick-off instrumental “Fawn” (Alice, 2002), makes its debut on Town With No Cheer (Swordfish Trombones, 1983). Backed by a Waits-like orchestra of pump organ, vibes, horns and wind chimes, Johansson pulls off her best performances on the songs that beg for her persona. She makes “Big Time” (Big Time, 1988) and “I Wish I Was In New Orleans” (Small Change, 1976) sound like her own, finding irony in the respective lines “Come from St. Petersburg, Scarlett and me” and “By the whiskers on my chin, New Orleans, I’ll be there.” The latter, led merely by a music box, is the record’s finest, leaving a Waits fan to wonder what Johansson could do with “Tango Til They’re Sore” or “The Piano Has Been Drinking.” Trouble arises when arrangements are altered—“I Don’t Want To Grow Up” sounds like Blondie, circa 1981”—but, all in all, it’s a nice effort. --Scott Holter