View Single Post
Old January 4 2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie Wars

unimatrix7 wrote: View Post
I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, and zombies in particular, so this book was a must-read for me. I read it the first time about a year ago, and was very impressed.

It basically takes place in the aftermath of a global zombie apocalypse and stars the author, Max Brooks, travelling the globe and talking to survivors of 'World War Z' about their experiences. The book takes the form of a series of interviews (which, to be honest, are basically just monologues) arranged chronologically from patient zero in China, the spread of the 'disease' to Africa and the Americas via the black market organ trade, the gradual spread across Europe and the United States, the 'Great Panic' when the military spectacularly failed to contain the threat and all hell broke lose, and so on right through to its conclusion.

It's horrifying, but not in the usual way. It takes itself quite seriously and outlays a course of events in a fashion that might be believable if you can accept the absurdity of the premise.

It's a great read, and highly recommend it to everyone. Also, there's a film version in the works for a 2010 release, which should prove interesting.

While the book does take itself pretty seriously, it is something of a parody/satire of the Bush Years (both politically and culturally). Be sure to look for all of the "cameos" by famous people that are described by their appearance and behaviour but are never named directly. BTW, the black man who was elected president of the USA during the turmoil was not Obama (though there is some presecience in the fact that during a period of crisis, the American people turned to a calm black man to be President).
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote