View Single Post
Old January 3 2009, 05:25 AM   #126
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: What do you dislike about The Dark Knight?

Sci wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Erm, I didn't say, "truth from a certain point of view." What I suggested was that the Joker's memory is unreliable: From day to day, his memory of his pre-Jokerfied life changes. He was accurately reporting the memory of how he got his scars each time he recounts how he got his Glasgow smile -- it's just that his memory of how he got that smile changes from day to day.

A lie is a deliberate statement of false information, not an unknowning statement of inaccurate information.
There's no evidence at all in the movie that his memory is somehow faulty
Fair enough -- it's my interpretation of the character as colored by my familiarity with the source material that that aspect of the film was partially based upon.

Someone who unknowingly gives you inaccurate information is lying? Wow. That's a harsh way of looking at things. Also, the dictionary disagrees with you.

Erm, I don't know where anyone claimed that he didn't know what he was doing or what his actions meant. I never claimed he was insensate or insane. And clearly, he does make plans in the short run -- he makes plans for individual tactics. But I don't think he developed any "big picture" plans until he decided to try to destroy Gotham's belief in civil society by making Dent betray his beliefs and by getting the boats to blow each other up. And even that is only in the name of bringing anarchy and ending the rule of law.
And I didn't claim that he did have a big plan, just that he did preplan events, there's no other he could stay ahead of the curve as he claimed he doing. But Alfred pegged right though.

<SNIP>

In the end that's the Joker's "big picture", but that doesn't mean his actions aren't preplanned to cause chaos.
I think we're basically saying the same thing here.
Yet again you're not providing any proof that the Joker gave away inaccurate infomation because he didn't know the truth. And we're not the same page at all, you claimed he improvised the things he did, but that's really possible and you can see it from the very start of the movie, the bus he took the money of the bank just turned straight into a whole line of busses, that's not something that happens by accident and he knew what kind of bank he was robbing. And how could have possibly at random known to plant explosives on the ferries to begin with or plant a guy in lockup with an exploding celling in him? That doesn't happen by accident it happens by design.

Chaos is his goal but he can't just improvise his way though the storyline.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote