View Single Post
Old January 3 2009, 12:55 AM   #18
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: Kirk's status, new timeline- Really so far off? (Contains spoilers

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Kirk may have made Captain at a pretty young age in TOS, but he still had to rise through the ranks!

Sorry, but I don't give a fetid dingo's kidney how heroic this kid is, THERE IS NOW WAY IN HELL THAT ANY MILITARY ORGANIZATION WITH HALF A BRAIN CELL TO SHARE AMONG ITS COMMAND STAFF IS GOING TO GIVE COMMAND OF A MAJOR FRONTLINE SHIP TO SOMEONE WHO IS, LITERALLY, DAYS OUT OF THE ACADEMY!!

Forget the canon violations, it's the credibility violations that are gonna sink this one.
Somehow, I don't think he's still a cadet by the time McCoy gets him on the Enterprise. He's in black because he was brought aboard as McCoy's patient, not as a crewmember with a uniform (and rank insignia).
I mean everyone must rise in rank fast if Kirk goes from cadet to captain in just days, because McCoy already has Lt. Cmdr. stripes in one picture. Sulu has a Lt. stripe. Spock is already a full commander.

As far as rising through the ranks quickly goes, George McClellan was a captain by age 21 (1847). He was barely a year out of West Point.