View Single Post
Old January 3 2009, 12:35 AM   #13
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Kirk's status, new timeline- Really so far off? (Contains spoilers

Vigilance wrote: View Post
So yes, it is possible for a young Lieutenant made acting First Officer by a Captain, and later acting Captain (after relieving a former first officer who wasn't up to the task) to be left in command.
Possible for a *lieutenant*, yes. But not for a bloody cadet.

it's not totally outside the realm of possibility, especially if you're Kirk, a once in a generation hero
As I said, though...who knows if Kirk turns out that way in this timeline as well. His entire life has been altered. He could be very different now.

I mean, look at what happened to Picard in "Tapestry". In that alternate timeline, he grew up to be a worthless 60-something Lieutenant JG with no ambition. And that was just because he didn't get into one bar fight when he was already an adult officer! The change to Kirk's life is, arguably, even more serious, because it dates back to his own BIRTH and therefore changes his entire upbringing.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote