View Single Post
Old January 2 2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Kirk's status, new timeline- Really so far off? (Contains spoilers

gastrof wrote: View Post
Some seem to be taking Kirk on Pike's Enterprise as a cadet with no real status at all with Starfleet, but something seems to be pointing in a different direction. What's that?

The fact he can apparently relieve Spock of command and take over the ship.

Would a cadet be able to do that with Uhura, Sulu, and the others present?

I suspect that Kirk is NOT a cadet at that point in the movie, and that at least some of what we know did already happen to him. (For example, him losing his captain on an earlier ship to the vampire cloud.)

Does anyone else get what I'm saying? Care to comment?
Well, the only spoilers we've heard so far indicate that Kirk is indeed a cadet when he is on the Enterprise. In fact, McCoy has to fake a serious illness in Kirk in order to *get* him on the ship in the first place. And of course we have all seen Kirk's all-black uniform (indicating cadet status). This is an issue because apparently, in the new timeline, Kirk does not even enter the Academy until some years after he did in the original timeline (due to Nero's interference, Kirk is raised by his abusive uncle, and thus grows up to be a similarly drunk loser who gets into fights a lot).

The only positive sign is that one bit towards the end of the preview where Kirk, this time in a real Starfleet uniform (and wearing full Captain's stripes, no less!) says "Buckle up!" You will also notice that all signs of the bar fight - i.e. the injuries to his face - have disappeared by this point. So we can only HOPE that a fair amount of time - years, ideally - have passed by this point. But until May rolls around, all we can comment on is what we see in the preview...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote