View Single Post
Old January 2 2009, 12:49 AM   #94
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Re: What do you dislike about The Dark Knight?

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I thought that too, but if you notice, the other side of the road is also blocked off. I've seen the film four times now, and trust me, I noticed the other side of the street being blocked off, so the convoy had no other choice but to take the lower route.
You really made me uncertain there for a moment so I popped the DVD back in and checked again. The other side of the road, as far as I can tell from the available shots, is perfectly clear.
Apologies for the bad image quality. I think the burning fire truck is clearly visible. But I think you can also see that there is nothing blocking the other side of the road (left of the down ramp), neither on the height of the fire truck nor further behind:

I'll agree with this. I also found the lack of music to assist in making the sequence feel less engaging and more plodding along, as you say. It's not as efficient or engaging a sequence as the car chase in Batman Begins, for example.
Music is definitely lacking in the scene, agreed.

Perhaps. I liked the quieter scenes in The Dark Knight just fine, though, whether or not it was Alfred consoling or offering advice to Bruce, or Rachel talking to Alfred about the nature of heroism or when she's alone with both Bruce and Dent...I thought they were plenty of quieter moments that easily outshined the moments in Batman Begins. I think my favorite "quiet scene" is after Rachel is killed and Bruce is in his penthouse, and Alfred consoles him. It's a clear homage to the scene where Alfred consoles a much younger Bruce after the death of his parents, and the music even mirrors that scene, almost cue to cue.
I suppose it's really a question of preference, in the end. I do like the scenes you mention but they just never manage to touch me emotionally the way the ones in BB did.

I think the character in itself is just weak and not as interesting or well-developed as the others, but that's my personal opinion. I don't think Gyllenhaal did any better, but I think she did pull off the assertive, spunky, capable woman more than Holmes did. I also fret the way Holmes would have handled the warehouse sequence.
I definitely agree that the character is pretty weak in both movies. It's a real shame that these movies which are so much more dedicated to characters and the story than many of their Hollywood counterparts are unable to produce even one truly convincing female character.

Some of the music is lost in the film, but listen to the soundtrack, and especially the expanded soundtrack. Batman is given a full-fledged theme and a "sound" (a la The Joker) and some of the action beats are much more realized and enjoyable. While I will agree that the only interesting themes are the ones carried from Batman Begins, I think Harvey Dent's tragic theme is pretty good.
I'm basing my opinion purely on the movie since I don't own the soundtrack. But I can definitely imagine that it's good seeing as how good the music for the first film was.
A shame then that some of it is lost. I remember the same thing happening with the music for "Jurassic Park: Lost World".