View Single Post
Old December 27 2008, 11:25 PM   #16
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

davejames wrote: View Post
Nociod wrote: View Post
All this talk about Robocop made me realize that I only have it on VHS, and not DVD, so I just bought the trilogy pack on DVD

Don't know if Im gonna watch the third movie when it arrives though, man I remeber that sucked.. But we'll see.

But back on topic.. Peter Weller really made the character Alex Murphy work, I don't know if the new actor can live up to that, but I'll watch the movie with an open mind
I have to admit Robo's big entrance in the third movie is pretty cool, but... that's about it.

As for a new Murphy, it's gotta be some average, ordinary looking guy like Weller was. That's what makes it so cool later when we see him come back as a hulking, cyborg badass and get his revenge on everybody.

Eckhart is too much of a matinee idol to pull that same thing off.
As I understand it, part of the reason Weller was cast in the first place was because he was physically slight enough to fit inside the costume and was a trained mime, so he had the physical discipline to move like a fluid machine. That's somehting the other Robocop actors never got quite right: the walk. Weller's walk isn't nearly as jerky and mechanical as the others and was in fact deceptively elegant. There's an economy of movement involved that is missing from the later performances.
So whomever they cast for the reboot, I imagine it will be another relative unknown with a background in dance, mime, gymnastics or something similar.
Of they could just hire Doug Jones.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote