View Single Post
Old December 24 2008, 11:24 PM   #40
Shaw
Commodore

Re: If You Could Re-Imagine the Constitution-Class Refit...

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
Still while I'm at it. Which figures seem to be the most accurate?
The correct ones.

But when you start actually putting some time into a study of this (rather than guessing), I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.

My studies show that 10 foot decks (with a few inches between) done exactly how Jefferies designed it works fine. But if you think you have to have two feet between decks and a three to five foot thick hull... use something bigger.

Considering that the corridors have walls that are more than 2 feet thick and were shown to house all the stuff that people assume must be in the floors, what other reason would you need more than a couple inches between decks?

Here is something to take into consideration, for anything you think would be needed size wise for supporting the Enterprise... divide that estimate by four! If you think the atmospheric equipment would need a certain amount of space, give it a quarter of that. Food storage, water storage, waste reclamation equipment, etc... quarter or less for them too. This is hundreds of years in the future, so less is more.

Honestly, if I wasn't constrained by the show... everything would be even smaller than what I'm putting forward in my plans. Tons of wasted space because 20th century standards were being applied.

The problem with most fans is that they want the Enterprise today... asking how could we do it today? rather than how might it be done hundreds of years from now. So don't feel bad if you can't imagine where technology might take us long after we are dead because you are in good company.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote