View Single Post
Old December 23 2008, 12:19 AM   #11
The Keeper
Re: Why don't phasers shoot straight?

Union Elf wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Union Elf wrote: View Post
One of the 7th season episodes where she was trying to set up a resistance cell against the Dominion.
Actually, that was season 4's Return to Grace. Kira was travelling on a Cardassian freighter commanded by Dukat, and she was explaining the various weapons and their features to Ziyal in case they got boarded by Klingons.
Ah! Thanks! So I guess that means "self-aiming phasers" are canon? (cannon? BUAHAHAHAHA)
Yes, thanks f0r the clarificati0n.

As for aiming, perhaps slight pressure with your finger on the firing button steers the emitter and you get feedback through the same button telling you when the emitter is pointed at a target... Wouldn't be hard to set up actually... it'd require a bit of user-training to master but that holds true for "normal" firearms as well.
Sounds like a good idea but don't you still need to see the target to hit it..? And if you can see it then you can shoot straight at it thus eliminating any need to steer the beam.

I suppose a steerable beam could be an advantage for a moving target if the beam steers faster than swinging your arm or jerking your hand but again, has it been specifically stated phaser beams are steerable?

bullethead wrote: View Post
In TNG's "The Vengeance Factor," Riker phasers some girl and the beam goes at an extreme downward angle to hit her in the chest. However, it appears that Jonathan Frakes was aiming at her head, so the outrageous angle was because the guys in post decided that having a girl get shot in the head wasn't family friendly or something.
That is exactly the strange behavior from phasers I am talking about.
Warp Speed, Mister Nimoy.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote