View Single Post
Old December 19 2008, 03:25 PM   #343
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

Elemental wrote: View Post
It was known from our initial introduction to "Destiny" that it was going to be on a scale of its own. While we did get to see some interesting developments such as the origins and new evolution of the Borg, I am left a little bit disappointed though that the biggest claim Destiny has to being "game-changing" as far as the Star Trek universe is concerned was in simply massacreing a bunch of worlds and starships. While we've never seen anything on this scale before, blowing up ships and scorching planets isn't anything we haven't seen before in numerous Star Trek series. Perhaps the hype just had my sights set a little too high, but I felt almost as if the "scale of epicness" of this novel was attempting to be made by the number of deaths they packed in. Sure, there will be consequences, but really, the Federation isn't left that different from what it was before (minus a few relatively minor worlds).
Now, that's hardly fair. First of all, a lot of the expectations you have about Destiny are probably from exaggerated hype and speculation rather than anything that was officially promised. Second, there are definitely some major changes here. The Borg threat is gone forever. Picard is free of his bete noire and about to begin a new phase of his life with a new attitude. The Picards and the Rikers are both about to become parents. The Aventine has become a major player in Starfleet. Many characters went through major changes in their relationships. And there are other changes and consequences, both astropolitical and personal, that won't really be seen until you read A Singular Destiny, Over a Torrent Sea, Full Circle, and Losing the Peace.

In my mind, "game-changing" would have been doing something like removing the ability for warp drive, or causing all Vulcans to go insane after poisoning their ability to mindmeld, or forcing a complete reorganization of characters and defining new crew purposes resulting in totally reshaped novel series.
I'd call those more "gimmicky" and "gratuitous" than "game-changing." Nobody ever said this was going to be random change just for the sake of change or for shock value. It's a massive event that rises organically out of the established history and that has long-term consequences that will be felt in all the literature to come. But as in real life, not all those consequences will be immediately obvious or glaring. (After the bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the only consequences people saw were the defeat of Japan and the immediate death and destruction. Nobody anticipated the far greater death toll from radiation sickness, a decades-long nuclear arms race between two wartime allies, the many regional wars fought by proxy between the stalemated nuclear powers, the rise of Islamic militancy in response to regional tensions exacerbated by that Cold War rivalry, the rebuilding of Japan into a major economic power, etc.)

I decided to read these novels even though I'm 3 books behind on the Titan series. Probably the most unfortunate spoiler this resulted in was Deanna's current and past pregnancy.
Well, that's not really a Titan spoiler, because there's a gap of about eight months between Sword of Damocles and Destiny. In Orion's Hounds, Riker and Deanna decided to start a family, and in SoD, they were undergoing fertility treatments but hadn't yet conceived. So the miscarriage and second pregnancy were revealed for the first time in Gods of Night.

Now, with Riker having a daughter and Picard having a son, I can't imagine that the creative team behind the novels hasn't toyed with the idea of these children being a future couple in the making.
Never occurred to me. Heck, they aren't even born yet. A little early to be picking china patterns.

I found the inclusion of the real-science relativistic time travel to be intriguing as it's something that the series and movies have never really dealt with. I am, however, curious as to the reasons why the creatrors chose to go by this road... The Columbia had already been flung far off into a distant part of space with disabled warp engines. Was there any specific reasons why Hernandez couldn't have simply encountered the Caeliar in their "present" time around 2155? Why did they have to be displaced more than a decade into the future first? It obviously did enhance their sense of isolation but was this the only reason?
Well, it was cool. It's also reasonable. As you say, they were in deep space without warp engines -- it would be unrealistic for them to just happen to be within a few days' or weeks' impulse travel of an inhabited system (although that happened more than once onscreen). And the Caeliar certainly weren't going to go out and meet them.

Of the upcoming follow-up novels, I'm most curious about "A Singular Destiny". I read the blurb on the SimonSays website but am still uncertain as to the major focuses of this novel. Have there been any further details given about what the content of this novel will be or what crew/group it will be spending the most time focusing on?
It's mostly focusing around an original character created by KRAD, but the Bacco administration and the Aventine crew are also involved, along with some other familiar faces.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote