View Single Post
Old December 17 2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Neopeius
Admiral

Re: To Moon, Or Not To Moon?

Jolly old saint Q wrote: View Post
Neopeius wrote: View Post
BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Okay... I had an idea for my "Shades of Gray" story, that I thought would be cool, and also amusing, but I'd like to know if it's scientifically possible, before I go ahead and use it.

In the story, a human asks one of the Grays if their world (Orvan) has a moon. The Gray responds, by saying "Sometimes", to a puzzled human.

My thought was this...

That since the Gray's homeworld is in the Zeta Reticuli system, which is a binary, and orbits the second star, that perhaps orbiting the FIRST star, is a small planetoid, maybe like Phobos or Charon, that has such an elliptical orbit, that once every one hundred thousand years or so, that small planetoid gets close enough to Orvan, to be temporarily captured by its gravity, and orbits it as a moon, until the next interval, when Orvan's gravity again flings it back into its old orbit, around the FIRST star.

I was wondering if this concept is at all doable?
No.

ZR2 and ZR1 have 9000 AU between them. By comparison, Pluto is about 40 AU from the Sun.

I don't know alot about this, but can two stars be a binary system that far apart? I would think that would be far outside each others gravity well for it to work.
That's only one seventh of a light year. Proxima Centauri is bound to the Alpha Centauri system at a distance of some 15,000 A.U. Our Oort Cloud is bound to our sun out to 1.5 light years.

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote