View Single Post
Old December 16 2008, 11:55 PM   #21
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Reign Begins... SPOILERS!

Hermiod wrote: View Post
darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
The whole insane "let's make the 616 continuity a carbon copy of the Ultimate-verse" mentality that Joey has. Jemas started the whole "dark universe" thing and Joey has followed right along with it.
I don't read anything from the Ultimate universe except The Ultimates, which is nothing like anything I see in the 616.
Let's see:

Dark, facisit dystopia vis a vis metahumans? Check
Anti-hero versions of classic 616 characters? Check
Metahuman Gestapo? Check

Nah...no similarities whatsoever...

Brand New Day has had its positive side as well. No more reliance on the same old villains, for a start.
Matter of opinion

[re death of Captain America]
And we got one of the best comic book stories ever written out of it.
They took the singlemost example of Marvel moral integrity and heroic virtue and turned him into a gun weilding thug (just like Ulti Cap).

The concept of a Superhuman Registration Act is hardly new.
Except it has always been portrayed as a hateful tool of the anti-meta bigots, and rightly so.

You mean the one where Bendis was allowed to insert hints and clues about Secret Invasion in multiple titles going back years ? Or the New Avengers: Illuminati mini-series ? There's no continuity ban that I can see. Pick up an X-Men title, if anything there's too much continuity there.
Try mentioning anything that happened pre-2000 or so and see how far you get.

Avengers Disassembled was necessary. It was necessary to make the Avengers important again after the X-Men had stolen all of their thunder.
edGY, KeWL, and releVUNt...gotcha

Nobody cares about the MC2 universe anyway.
Tell that to the fanbase that saved the book FIVE times. It was the last vestige of the Marvel comics we knew and loved for 50 years. Now it's gone too, DESPITE our best efforts, it seems.

Joey "the Butcher" Q has for many years stated he disliked the book and did everything he could to kill it.

Never mind that DeFalco is a far superior writer and would make a 1 MILLION % better EIC than Joey could ever DREAM of being.

No, his writers have brought it in to the 21st century. Marvel's been crying out for people like Bendis, JMS, Dan Slott, Mark Millar, Ed Brubaker and co for years.
No, the "coffee shop comics" crowd has been crying out for them. Look at Marvel's sales in the 90s vs today and tell me with a straight face that "Marvel is crying out for Bendis, et al"

I can't speak for anyone else, but they lost me in the 80's and they got me back in 2001.
Then you're one of the relatively few people who apparently IS the market for this sort of thing...

Oh yes, lets also not forget "Wolverine must be in EVERY book, 'cuz he sells." Never mind if he doesn't BELONG in that book...
I can't disagree with that.
Well, at least we agree on SOMETHING...
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote