View Single Post
Old December 10 2008, 10:10 PM   #86
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: Modified TOS Ent - Wallpapers

Vektor wrote: View Post
I've gotten a lot of requests from people asking how I did the textures for this ship, so I decided to post a sampling of the diffuse maps. Most of these are reduced by anywhere from 50-75% from the ones used on the actual model.

(images omitted for post size)

The specular maps are, for the most part, just darkened and higher-contrast versions of the diffuse maps. What really sells the textures is the material setup in Mental Ray, which I unfortunately don't have time to go into right now, but maybe some time down the road.
Vektor,

I'm still developing my "texturing" techniques. I'm curious... how much of that is painted "in-place" on the model, then UV-unwrapped, and how much is painted in 2-D?

It seems like some of it would be difficult to get "right" either way... like the lines on the B/C-deck superstructure, for instance. The saucer, on the other hand, I could see being done in pure 2D... and the secondary hull LOOKS like it would have been painted, then UV-unwrapped, then have 2D elements added, then rewrapped and retweaked.

That stuff just kills me... :\
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote