View Single Post
Old December 7 2008, 06:27 PM   #22
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: The Dark Knight: Oscar Bound?

stj wrote: View Post
I think of Hopkins as the male lead of Silence of the Lambs. It certainly wasn't Anthony Head or even Scott Glenn.
Maybe there wasn't a male lead? The movie belonged to Jodie Foster. It is possible for a movie to not have a male lead. I guess you could call Tony Hopkins the "male lead" in The Silence of the Lambs but regardless of that, it still doesn't take away from the fact that he was a supporting character. Jodie Foster and Scott Glenn had more screentime than him.

As for Ledger in Dark Knight (note to self, Dark Knight, not Dark Knight Returns,) for how many of those minutes is he the center of the scene? Especially scenes without the official star? The number of minutes is a good starting point but Ledger was in a starring role, just as Hopkins was in Silence.
You could say the same for Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent. For how many minutes in the scenes that Eckhart was in was he the center of the scene? Probably many. Ledger and Eckhart were the principal villians, so of course they are going to dominate the scene when they are featured. I guess I just equate to starring role equaling screentime. That's not refuting that Ledger and Hopkins didn't steal the show in their respective movies, but that does not make them the leading characters in their films.

Or Michael Keaton in Beetlejuice, even though he had maybe nineteen minutes on screen time. Does anybody else even remember Alec Baldwin was in Beetlejuice?
Yeah, I do. I remember Winona Ryder a bit more, though.

Much of the publicity campaign pushing for Dark Knight explicitly mentions the huge amount of money the movie made. That is a new low, even for Hollywood, in esthetic criteria.
Get a hold of yourself. Movies do this all the time. Do you watch much TV? Every Monday there's a new advertisement proclaiming whichever movie got #1 at the box office and exploiting it. Movies take advantage of their monetary success all the time. This is not unheard of, or new.

PS Almost forgot---if you mean, who is the star? Obviously you're right that it's Bale. If you don't admit the possibility of multiple leads, no matter how uncommon, then the question admits of no debate. But this merely seems unduly official, misleading conventional wisdom, to me.
Well, I was going by who got the most screentime, and who he was billed first. That would be Christian Bale, followed by Michael Caine, and then Heath Ledger.

However we're arguing semantics, really.