View Single Post
Old December 7 2008, 04:46 PM   #14
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: The Dark Knight: Oscar Bound?

T'Baio wrote: View Post
If Fincher won a Best Directing Oscar, my nuts would explode.

I haven't seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button yet, it's my Christmas Theater Experience (TM) this year, but I'll assume it's great...since pretty much everything Fincher has ever done is great.

And while I won't say he deserves it more than anyone else for individual films, 'cause like I said, I haven't seen his contender this year, in the pantheon of "career Oscars," he deserves it far more than Nolan or pretty much anyone else does at this point...except maybe Mann or DePalma.
I dunno. I mean Fincher has Se7en and Fight Club, two of the greatest films ever in my opinion, but Christopher Nolan has Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight...five of my favorite films of all time, so I'm a bit biased.

I definitely think Fincher is more than deserving for a Best Director Oscar (I'll also agree Michael Mann is overdo, much like Martin Scorsese was) but I'm a huge fan of Nolan so naturally I'm going to lean in his direction (ha, no pun intended).

I forgot to mention Zodiac! What a truly terrific film. Roger Ebert calls it his best, but I'm still stuck between choosing Se7en and Fight Club on most days (with a slight edge going to Se7en most of the time).